Fueling your body properly is the most important pre-workout step, especially before a run. If you’re missing the right nutrients you risk fatigue, injury, or loss of endurance. However, not just any pre-run snack will cut it.
Before a run or race of any distance, your snack should consist of protein, carbs, and a little bit of healthy fat. This the optimal combination that is not super taxing on your digestive system. Avoiding foods high in fiber before impactful exercise is important in order to avoid stomach aches or cramping.
Here are my favorite combinations that leave me feeling energized:
- Whole wheat toast with almond butter and smashed raspberries
- Banana or Apple with peanut butter
- Carrots and cucumbers with hummus
- Small smoothie with fruit, almond milk and nut butter
- Whole what toast with smashed avocado
- Small smoothie with banana, vanilla protein powder, and almond milk
- Plain 0% greek yogurt with mixed berries and honey
- Larabars- the easiest bars on your digestive system because they are made with minimal ingredients: dates, nuts, cacao, etc.
- Dates stuffed with peanut butter
Avoid protein bars or other meal replacement bars. These often have added fiber and sugars that make them hard for the body to digest and can cause discomfort while exercising. My personal favorite snack is a date stuffed with peanut butter for a quick energy boost. Stick to these options and set yourself up for a successful run!